IIT Delhi has taken multiple initiatives in the direction of implementing the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020.
In line with the aim of NEP 2020 that talks about multidisciplinary higher education, the Institute has launched the following programs.
- Tech. programs in Materials Engineering., Energy Science and Engineering, Computational and Applied Mechanics
- Bachelor in Design
- MSc in Economics, Cognitive Science
- Tech. programs in Cybersecurity, Electric Mobility, ML and Data Science, Biomolecular and Bioprocess Engineering.
- Master’s in Public Policy
- Joint PG Diploma with NITIE, Mumbai, in Visionary Leadership for Manufacturing
- Master of Science by Research (MSR) programs in Automotive Research and Tribology, Energy Science and Engineering, Material Science and Engineering, Transportation Research and Injury Prevention
Further, the Institute has started the following centres and school focusing on interdisciplinary research:
- Centre for Automotive Research and Tribology
- Optics & Photonics Centre
- Sensors, Instrumentation and Cyber-Physical Systems Engineering
- Transportation Research and Injury Prevention Centre
- School of Artificial Intelligence
IIT Delhi is providing its students with multiple entry as well as exit options, as it is one of the key provisions of the NEP.
- PhD exit with MS(R)
- Tech. /MBA exit with PG Diploma of IIT (DIIT)
- UG exit with diploma or diploma in a particular engineering discipline
- Discipline change at the end of 1st year of UG
- UG to PG conversion
- Transfer from one PG programme to another and upgradation
To create a flexible academic atmosphere for the students, the Institute has the following provisions:
- Temporary hold in M.Tech. program to avail employment and rejoining later
- Opportunity to UG students to further specialize in their parent discipline and explore other disciplines
- Semester leave for incubating startup and internship
- Flexible time frame, based on ability, to complete their course of study
Over time, the Institute has made significant efforts towards the internationalisation of the IIT Delhi campus.
- Joint PhD programs with the University of Queensland Australia and the National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University Taiwan have been launched.
- Launched International PhD Fellowship Program (IPFP) and International Masters Scholarship Program (IMSP).
- Over hundred international MoUs for student exchange
In the direction of facilitating online education, various online certificate programs under the eVidya initiative have been launched.
The Institute organised multiple academic outreach events, as given below, for the students of the government and private schools.
- SciTech Spins lecture series for high school students
- STEM mentorship workshop for girls
- Grassroots innovation program (GRIP) for local communities
- Changemakers Bootcamp for high school and UG students
- Lab sessions for Delhi Skill and Entrepreneurship University students
- Mentoring and setting up an engineering college in Kargil
Speaking of the various NEP initiatives taken by the Institute, Prof. Narayanan D. Kurur, Dean, Academics, said: “IIT Delhi is committed to implementing the NEP provisions. We have implemented several provisions, and several others are in the pipeline. We have signed up for the Academic Bank of Credits (ABC)”.
On July 29, 2023, Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will be inaugurating the 2nd Akhil Bhartiya Shiksha Samagam in New Delhi, concurring with the third anniversary of the National Education Policy.